Thursday, April 18, 2013

What is Faith?

     So what is faith? Faith, as defined in the Bible dicitonary, is "to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true" (see Hebrews 11:1 &/or Alma 32:21). Having faith is most often used in terms of having faith in Christ, God, or religion.
     Faith has been a big part of my life. There have been times where I have struggled with my faith. Times when I've thought that my faith or belief wasn't good enough, or that I was doing something wrong. One thing I have learned many times in my life is that faith and belief do not necessarily mean you have a perfect knowledge, in fact, while on this earth, we will not have a perfect knowledge of God and all his mysteries.
     I want to share a talk that was given during this years April General Conference (2013) called "Lord, I Believe" by Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
You can watch it by going here: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/lord-i-believe?lcid=GC0000017&lang=eng
     You can also read it by visiting that website. It's a good talk, worth the time! Even if you have already heard or read it, it wouldn't hurt to freshen your memory!
     This is one of my favorite parts of the talk which talks about the importance of believing until you have faith, even if you feel your belief is insignificant or not enough.
     "I said I was speaking to the young. I still am. A 14-year-old boy recently said to me a little hesitantly, “Brother Holland, I can’t say yet that I know the Church is true, but I believe it is.” I hugged that boy until his eyes bulged out. I told him with all the fervor of my soul that belief is a precious word, an even more precious act, and he need never apologize for “only believing.” I told him that Christ Himself said, “Be not afraid, only believe,”12 a phrase which, by the way, carried young Gordon B. Hinckley into the mission field.13 I told this boy that belief was always the first step toward conviction and that the definitive articles of our collective faith forcefully reiterate the phrase “We believe.”14 And I told him how very proud I was of him for the honesty of his quest."
(Text from: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/lord-i-believe?lcid=GC0000017&lang=eng)
     This part had a big impact on me. I'll end this post with that. I hope this has helped someone in some way! God loves everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment